2.3 Author Interview: Unwanted Slave by M J Drakkon




Today I am very fortunate to be interviewing M J Drakkon, author of Unwanted Slave, an epic fantasy novel, first of the Breaking Destiny trilogy. Please check it out and keep an eye out for her other work.


Auric: As a writer, what was the defining moment for you when you were writing this novel? Good or bad?
MJ: I suppose the easy answer would be to say “the end”, because that’s when it was officially my novel, or “when it released”, which is another hallmark. But for me, the defining moment was relatively unspectacular. I was about 18. I’d finished the very first draft of the very first version. I was gushing over it to my parents, and a friend of theirs insisted I print it out, sign it, and then purchased it from me. The gesture was only small, but he seemed so genuine about it, so excited to have the first copy of what he was sure was going to be a best seller. I still think back on that moment, the first moment I realised that I could do it, I could turn this story I’d begun into something people would actually be excited to read.

Auric: What was the biggest hurdle to the self-publishing process that you went through? What took the most effort to get around?
MJ: For me, the biggest hurdle for self-publishing is not, I think, getting the book to market. For me, everything up until that point was relatively easy compared to the monster that loomed after that moment: Marketing. I’m a recluse, a hermit, I’m not terribly active on social media, I’m only vaguely aware that other people exist. Promoting and marketing a book, or indeed, anything requires a whole other skill set than the one used to actually create said book. To date, that remains the one hurdle I think I’m yet to surpass.

Auric: Now I would define this as a YA fantasy, was there any specific genre conventions you had in mind when you were writing it?
MJ: YA Fantasy is more or less what I had in mind when I wrote it, although I confess I started writing it first, and developed my target audience along the way. Otherwise, the story is more or less textbook fantasy.

Auric: After releasing your first book was there any big lesson you learned or major changes you will make for the next book?
MJ: Oh absolutely. Unwanted Slave began as a short story originally, that I expanded on, slowly building into something bigger. But while that was interesting, it ended in having to do three complete rewrites to make the whole thing make any sense. So the biggest lesson I learned is to go in with a plan from the start, a skeleton, so I know where it’s going and it makes sense from start to finish.

Auric: Tell me about the scariest part of the process for you?
MJ: The scariest part was definitely when my book officially went up for sale. At that moment, it was no longer within my control. It’s out there now, for everyone to see. I can’t alter it anymore, I’m forced to just have faith in what I’ve done and let it speak for itself. 

Auric: What about the best moment? The moment that made it all worth it?
MJ: The best moment? The best moment would be when I wrote the last word on the last page. That’s by no means the end, as the moment you write the last word, the editing begins. However, to me, that moment represented proof to myself that I could do it, I could write a novel. It was an incredible moment, all everything that came after that, whatever challenges I faced, I knew that I had done it, I had written a novel, and nothing could take that away.

Auric: Now is there any advice you’d like to give other authors about writing?
MJ: The best piece of advice I’ve ever seen, that helped me immensely was actually a piece I found on Reddit. It goes like this: no more zero days. Expanding on this: write a little bit every single day. Don’t let a day go past without putting down at least a word or two. Is it 10 to midnight? Sit down and write a sentence, three words if you have to. But don’t let a single day go by without at least something going down onto your writing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2.22 NaNoWriMo Prep 2018

2.14 Author Interview: K.M.Pohlkamp

3.1 The middle bits