2.21 Good Villain Dialog

Okay so today's blog is actually inspired by a cute little story from about twenty minutes ago.

I had to leave the house because I have been harbouring a mad-crazy need for egg sandwiches for a few days now and unable to get a fix. Thus, with a small adventure, I found myself exitting the local Woolies, my loot in hand, when I noticed and happened to catch a snippet of a conversation between two kids:

The kids were about 11-13ish. Both boys were dressed in that sort of gangsta imitation that kids around that age like, especially the 'tough' kids. They had scooters and the opening snippet of conversation I caught was 'well he's a shit...' (For American reader's that is occa for 'punk ass bitch' )
The slightly older looking of the two dropped his soft-drink can on the ground and scooted off, sprouting a line that made me laugh almost as soon as it was out of his mouth,
"Like, totally, yeah, y'know...."
 If there's anything that ruins a 'tough persona' faster, I don't know it. I chuckled because the kids went from villainous litter-bugs to cute in just that phrase.

But what ruined their tough persona, exactly? Why did the valley-girl phrase jump out at me as not being strong enough to carry their miniature I'm-such-a-ganster attitudes?
I got to thinking about it and I worked out that the villains I respect in media and literature are articulate.

Examples of good villain monologue

So this is actually one of the easiest things for me to point out as what does and doesn't work for me.
My favourite villain monologue, by far, is still from Person of Interest, Season 3, Episode 10.
If you haven't seen it, and intend to (great show, highly recommended!) don't watch: (SPOILERS!!)

(SPOILERS!!)Transcript for those without audio:
Carl Elias: It's just me, Officer.  
Officer Patrick Simmons: Elias. What do you want? Quinn and I are bust. HR is dead. Nothin' else to do but to rub my face in it.  
Carl Elias: Not really my style.  
Officer Patrick Simmons: Then why the hell are you here?  
Carl Elias: Well, there remains a debt. Civilization rests on the principle that we treat our criminals better than they treated their victims, that we not stoop to their level.  
Carl Elias: But you and I are outliers; we're not really a part of civilization. We're something... older. Which means, of course, that we can do the things that civilized people can't. I offered to kill you for Detective Carter many times, and she always said no. She was civilized to the very end. I don't think she liked me. But I liked her very much. You killed her. So now I consider it my responsibility to fix the particular problem that is you, Officer Simmons.  
Officer Patrick Simmons: You really think you're gonna be the one to kill me?  
Carl Elias: No. No, my friend is going to kill you. I'm just gonna watch.
(END SPOILERS)

 Without context, I still think this monologue is probably one of the strongest. In a few words you really see the depth of personality in the villain, his code of ethics, his methods and his motivations.

Another good example is the Christian Bale Batman trilogy. Especially the Dark Knight Rises. The dialog between the Joker and Batman in this movie is fantastic, but importantly, the dialog between the Joker and Two-Face.

I know these are two from  a show and a movie, but I'll be honest- I can't think of many examples from a book. I think that the visual medium has been pushed to grow stronger for its villain portrayal than novels have. Without spoilers:

Good book villains: The Artemis Fowl villains, Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter, Percy Jackson's villains (from the books definitely not the movies of which we do not speak,) The villains from the Curse of Challion, Heart's Blood by Juliet Marriller had some of the most memorable villains for me.

I know those are mostly YA examples, but they were the quickest ones that popped to mind. I think one of the key points for most of these villains is that their dialog in so many scenes is dripping with articulation and power.


So what is the key?

When it comes to these villains, the thing that they all have in common is a good articulation of their plans, their motives and their goals.
This naturally harkens back to understanding your villain well. 'He's evil because he's evil' or 'he's just a psycho' are weak reasons behind the villain. It's okay to have the crazy villain who just wants to watch the world burn (thank you Dark Knight) but we need to see how and why he is doing some actions. The Joker from the Dark Knight was robbing banks for money (everyone needs money to live- even murder-clowns), then he was hired to deal with the batman problem- however overboard he went on that request. His goals align with other criminals, however dangerous he is as an uncontrolled maniac.
One of my favourite villains from the Harry Potter novels is Dolores Umbridge, I think she was more hated than Voldermort by 90% of the fanbase. Her motives are never unclear, her methods make perfect sense for an extremist approach. They are in no way forgivable or acceptable, which is what makes her a villain, but Dolores is a fantastic example of bureaucracy without conscience.  
A clear motive is important to villains. If you are writing fantasy and have elected to go the 'evil overlord' route, please consider their reasons- a thing that people who imitate Lord of the Rings forget (or haven't read) is that there is actually a description in that series of the how and why Sauron became what he was, same as the Ring Wraiths. 

As for the actual worlds...

This depends on your novel. 
I can give you examples of what not to do until the sun comes down, but I think the most important thing is to not fall back on cliche or trope unless it legitimately fits the scene. Lines such as:
You have failed me for the last time
I'll get you next time... Gadget 
etc.
All have become pretty weak with overuse and don't speak to a good scene. I suggest adding more layer to your villains to prevent these dialog pieces leaving their lips.

Today's recommendation: The Evil Overlord List

Writing prompt: Design a scene where the villain and the protagonist are fighting, remove all the dialog. Now, rewrite that scene with no description, only dialog.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2.22 NaNoWriMo Prep 2018

2.14 Author Interview: K.M.Pohlkamp

3.1 The middle bits