2.8 Query Success For This Little Birdie


For the folk who want to read the pure stats of this process:
This is a NaNoWriMo novel from 2017.
I went through 2 heavy edits/revisions before beginning to querying it mid-December 2017.
Twitter Pitches: #Pitmad (2 bites), #IWSGPIT (4 bites)
Number of queries: 32
Number of requests for full:7
Number of Form rejections: 16
Number of custom rejections: 4
Revise and Resubmit: 2
Number of offers: 4

I submitted mostly to small press and a few select agents. I know that ideally you want to go one or the other, however as someone with no writing cred behind me, I was happy to spread everywhere.This may not be the best approach for everyone, and certainly it might harm you later on if you wanted to go with an agent and end up signing with an agent who eventually gets you a small-press deal. Approach this cautiously- do a lot of research!

I have to make my decision today, between four offers, and it is a very tough choice to make!

So at the time of writing this I am looking at four offers for publication in my email.  Small press.

I have been smiling and full of boundless excited energy for almost 2 weeks and it is showing no sign of stopping.
Like so many debut authors a long held dream is unfurling in front of me. And the irony isn't lost on me that the novel bringing me this dream is all about a guardian of dreamers protecting us in our sleep. The Nightmare Detective is going to be a real thing.

Becoming an author.... a published author who sells books and stories for money.... I've wanted it since I was 12.
I've always been serious about the art. The hard truths and the shocking effort and opposition involved. I want it enough to endure a lot of suffering- and what pain and suffering we are willing to endure is very telling.

I've told every single person in my life that I'm about to achieve the first step on the path to my dreams. Most of my non-author friends don't quite 'get' how big a deal this is.  Many friends have told me to calm down and not get ahead of myself. Regardless, this is a big deal for a first time author, so if you are going through the same moment, don't calm down. Scream, squeal and run around for joy.

There is more hard work ahead of me. A lot. Book clubs, reviewers and conventions.

A lot of public work that makes me sick with nerves. But also thready with excitement.

Achieving your dreams doesn't drop in your lap for most of us. Most authors scrape by.
The very rare and lucky few who have million dollar debuts are exceptions to the cosmic rule that says "work hard. Work harder. Work until you bleed. Then you will see a road ahead to work harder down."
I have over 14 years of nano experience. 18 years of near constant writing. When I started, I heard advice that most authors didn't reach fame or publishing deals until they were in their 40s. Because developing your skill and structure and voice takes an enormous serious investment. I wrote for years. I read hungrily. I did a double English major that verged on a triple.
I kept advice. I weathered scorn and heartache and self doubt that whittled my soul into a hard, tired spear.
I have been through all the writerly phases- new and shiny, old and bitchy, strong and arrogant, wise and calm.
Constantly learning. Constantly improving.

About 6 years ago i saw the first glimpse of the author slowly dragging out of my writing cocoon. I wrote and the voice that hit the page was majesty. I stared at her words and knew.... soon. Soon she would come.
I kept writing for years after seeing that first drop of readiness in myself. Convinced I was just looking for the right idea. I just needed the right book.

But i never finished anything.Crippling self doubt had stripped me of my ability to take the next step.

Then I met M J Drakkon. 

A writer who had just caught her first glimpse of the author inside. She, unafraid and ready, stepped out as I lurked in shadows and fear. She boldly placed herself in the light and self published.
I was shocked. This young timid thing with all the fears of the world was daring bravely where i had not.
She was a hobbit to my scared Faramir.
No more hiding. I snapped. No more fear. Let it happen. Step out of your safe obscurity and work hard. Risk yourself.

I started querying in August. The worst month to query. I queried badly and I made a lot of early mistakes. Not including word count, not knowing my genre, not writing enough to the agent.

I finally got twitter- the authorial platform.
Well in the last six months I have learned a lot. Applied those lessons and gotten better.
My queries have become stronger. My understanding of the market firmer.

The Nightmare Detective is going to be published! The idea fills me with hope and joy. The deep reality will hit when I sign my first copy for a stranger.

Until then, there's more to write and more to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2.22 NaNoWriMo Prep 2018

3.1 The middle bits

2.14 Author Interview: K.M.Pohlkamp